Week 2: Question 1: What is the Genealogy of Race in DH?
  • Since the 60’s the United States and much of the rest of the world have experienced tremendous technological and social change. McPherson thinks that DH and race have necessarily been intertwined as a result. What is the genealogy of race in the digital humanities, given the intertwined history of UNIX and US racial formations that McPherson points out?

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • I wonder whether McPherson's discussion of labor in the context of the development of computing languages could be expanded in some useful way to account for outsourcing of IT expertise overseas to India. It seems as if a knowledgeable overview of the subcontinent's role as a source for both cheap labor, technological expertise, and even as a geographical basis of operation for US computing/technology firms might help us understand the uses and limitations of considering the proliferation of digital/technological innovations as a new form of empire.
  • @vivianHalloran. Good point. I was talking about that with my collegues: where we should place this "cheap" labor, not only in India but there's a lot ofsubcontractor in LatinAmerica too. That makes us re-think if this computing/technology is really "white"...?

• I had a similar conversation today with a Sri Lankan-via-UK gentleman today. Exact quote, "Silicon valley would not have been possible without India." Straight to the point!
  • @Sarita...what we are talking about here is really hard don' t you think so?...DHpoco is opening new perspectives of thinking and reflection...I think this forums are really good for the DH generally...And of course for different social/human sciences...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged